Recycling Project Announced for Agricultural Waste
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry is helping fund a three-year Agricultural Plastics Recycling Pilot Program that will recycle agricultural plastics. The Alberta Beef Producers will use the $750,000 grant to coordinate the recycling program on behalf of the Agricultural Plastics Recycling Group - 20 stakeholder organizations ranging from commodity associations and rural municipalities to retailers. The pilot will determine the financials, logistics and operations of recycling agricultural plastics to help inform future policy decisions.
This pilot program is aimed at:
- recycling grain bags and twine
- researching markets for other agricultural plastics not included in the pilot program
- conducting a waste characterization study to determine agricultural plastic volumes
- surveying producers to get feedback
- educating producers on the program and how to recycle their plastics