Provincial Government Appoints New Balancing Pool Chair
Energy Minister Sonya Savage has appointed Greg Clark to lead the Balancing Pool board of directors. Clark is an entrepreneur who co-founded a successful technology-based professional services organization and led some of Calgary’s largest content management, records management and compliance implementations in Canada’s energy, oil and gas industry. He is an active community volunteer and is a former leader of the Alberta Party and member of the legislative assembly.
The Balancing Pool is established under the Electric Utilities Act and the board meets a minimum of four times per year.
- It is a non-profit statutory corporation, with a board of directors appointed by the minister of energy.
- There are five board members, including the chair.
- The Balancing Pool was established in 1999 to help manage the transition from a fully regulated market structure to a competitive electricity industry. It has two primary roles:
- to manage the financial accounts arising from the transition to a competitive market on behalf of electricity consumers
- to meet the obligations and responsibilities associated with Power Purchase Arrangements