COVID-19 Information and Resources
Last updated: September 10, 2020 @ 5:30 PM
Fuelling Our Business Community Through COVID-19
We understand how devastating this pandemic is on your business and we also recognize there is a lot of information out there to navigate and so we're here to help. Our team is monitoring and gathering information from credible sources so you can find what you need, all in one place.
We encourage you to connect with any of our team members, if you have any questions or concerns. While we are working remotely, we are still here to assist you.
With the Government of Alberta relaunch strategy, businesses will now need to shift focus to recovery readiness and determining strategies to return to work and reopen their businesses.
As you prepare to reopen your business, make sure to use the COVID-19 resources available to help keep you, your staff, and your customers safe.
We Want to Hear From You
If you would like support please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
What issues will impact your company or sector as Canada begins to re-open?
What kind of public health guidance will you require from governments?
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce has also developed 5 key areas that need to be part of the country's strategy to re-open the economy quickly and safely. Your insights and needs will inform Canadian Chamber discussions with governments as we re-open the economy over the coming months. Submit your feedback here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monitor the Situation and Stay Up to Date
Need to stay up to date with the latest news and updates? Subscribe to our e-newsletter here and view past editions for more information. You can also use the links and resources below:
- Government of Alberta - Covid-19: Information for Albertans, Current Situation and What's New
- COVID-19 Statistics in Alberta
- COVID-19 Status Map
- Government of Alberta News feeds
- Government of Alberta livestreams and video highlights
- Government of Canada: Actions on COVID-19
- Government of Canada - COVID-19: Updates and information
- Government of Canada - COVID-19: Outbreak Update in Canada
- Government of Canada - Public Health Agency Data and Modelling
- Statistics Canada: Canadian Perspectives Survey Series 1
- Bank of Canada Rate News
- CPAC Headline Politics
- Prime Minister of Canada Videos
- Subscription for Public Health Updates
- International Chamber of Commerce:
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Country Policy Tracker
- World Health Organization Coronavirus Disease Outbreak Information
Here are the some key resources you can use as you navigate this challenging time:
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce FAQ Resource
- Government of Canada: Canada Emergency Response Benefit Q & A
- Government of Canada: Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy FAQ; Teleconference call with CRA on the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (August 21, 2020)
- Canadian Payroll Association: Questions and Answers from the Payroll Infoline
PPE Requests for Business
In the event that specific PPE is not available locally or through suppliers, there is a national Rapid Response Platform that automatically matches supply with demand, simplifying supplier discovery during the procurement process. View the platform here.
Further guidance can be found here:
- Alberta Health Services PPE Guidelines
- Guidance on non-medical face mask use for the general public
As of July 1, businesses and non-AHS organizations will be required to access PPE directly through suppliers.
Groups that have already received or submitted a request for PPE from the Provincial Operations Centre or Alberta Health Services can continue accessing supplies, subject to availability and for a fee, from May 25 until June 30. Requests received and being fulfilled may be subject to fees.
For issues with PPE orders through the Provincial Operations Centre, employers can follow up with a query to: email@example.com .
More information on masks through the Government of Alberta.
Government of Alberta Workplace guidance: Alberta BizConnect
- Alberta Prepares: Pandemic Influenza Business Checklist
- BDC: 7 steps to sustain your business through the disruption
- Business Continuity Guide
- Cyber Security Guidance
- Government of Canada: Guidance on Essential Services and Functions
- Canadian Payroll Association: Payroll Continuity Best Practice Guidelines
- Cushman & Wakefield HOW-TO GUIDE FOR REOPENING YOUR WORKPLACE and the Safe Six Checklist
- International Chamber of Commerce: Coronavirus Guidelines for Business
- BILD Alberta: Tips for Operating Worksites During COVID-19
- People Outside Safely Together (POST) Promise program
- Working from Home During a Pandemic
- Working Virtually - Checklist & Tips
- World Health Organization: Getting your workplace ready for Covid-19
Changes to the Employment Standards Code will allow employees who are required to self-isolate or are caring for a loved one with COVID-19 to take 14 days of paid job-protected leave to cover the self-isolation period being recommended by Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health. There will be no requirement to have a medical note for such leave or to have worked for an employer for 90 days to qualify for such leave.
A separate phone line has been set up through Service Canada for queries related to EI sickness benefits relating to COVID-19. The phone number is 1-833-381-2725. The federal government has waived the one (1) week waiting period for Canadians requiring EI sickness benefits for COVID-19, including those who are in a 14-day isolation period. Canadians can apply right away. For employers who do not offer sick leave, or for employees who have exhausted sick leave entitlements, there are other supports available as listed below.
- Changes to Employment Standards for COVID-19
- Employment Standards Rules
- Employment Standards Toolkit
- Employment Standards Code
- Employment Standards for layoffs, recall and terminations
- Record of Employment information
- Hazard Assessment and Control: a handbook for Alberta employers and workers
- OHS Obligations and Consent Forms for Relaunch
- OHS Publications for COVID-19
- OHS: Respiratory viruses and the workplace
- OHS: Guidance for workers during a pandemic
- Employers of Temporary Foreign Workers have additional requirements, so please refer to the Guidance for Employers and if employers have any other questions regarding any immigration issues, IRCC has created a new centralized mailbox for all COVID-19 related queries, which will be checked daily and responses can be expected within 3 days. The e-mail address is: IRCC.COVID19SPOQuestions-FSQuestionsCOVID19.IRCC@cic.gc.c
- Worker Deconditioning following an absence from the workplace
- WCB Resources including COVID-19 at work fact sheet; WCB COVID-19 worker fact sheet, the WCB COVID-19 employer fact sheet and WCB online portal and WCB app
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety: Click here for free resources and Pandemic Tip Sheets including:
Government of Alberta COVID-19 Publications by Industry
- Agribusiness Supports and Information
- Alberta Gaming, Liquor, Cannabis
- Alberta Cannabis Council: Safety measures for your store
- Alberta Liquor Store Association: COVID-19 safety measures that can be implemented in store.
- Beauty Council
- Child Care During COVID-19 - Tips for Daycares
- Commercial Vehicle Drivers
- Construction and Land Development Industry:
- Cement and Concrete Industry: Concrete Alberta’s best practices for delivering concrete during COVID-19 and Concrete Canada’s best practice health and safety guidelines for employees in the cement and concrete industry.
- Energy Safety Canada
- Food & Consumer Products of Canada
- Golf Course Operators Workplace Guidance
- Hotel and Lodging
- Restaurants Canada
- Retail Council of Canada Resources for Retailers
- #ShopSmart Campaign and downloadable tools
- Q & A for Retailers
- Regulatory requirements for non-medical masks/fashion face coverings
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety COVID-19 Tips for Retail
- Workplace Playbook for Retails on re-opening
- Tourism Operators:
- BDC Business Continuity Plans and templates for Entrepreneurs
- BDC Business Plan Template and Business Planning Tools
- Business Continuity & Recovery Plan
- Business Continuity Handbook
- Business Continuity Template
- Canadian Business Resilience Network Reopening Toolkit
- Crisis Communication Plan
- Emergency Response Plan Template
- Plan for Resilience: Workplace Edition for Leaders Employees and Self-Employed
Mandatory Mask Survey
There is a lot of uncertainty facing people today making it difficult to navigate all the information available. This is made more complex with different jurisdictions instituting various recommendations and bylaws that change the way that residents interact with the world around them. Given that various municipalities have instituted bylaws regarding mandatory face coverings in indoor public places, we wanted to develop an understanding of where our community members sat on this particular issue.
Deadline to get your response in is September 15, 2020. Take the survey now.
Business Diagnostic Survey
With the Insurance Bureau of Canada, the Calgary Chamber developed a tool to help you find gaps in your business continuity plan and to help your business better prepare for disaster Take the diagnostic survey
Commercial Rent Survey
Tenants and landlords can fill out an online survey to help gauge any challenges they may be experiencing. Survey results will give government further insight into the types of issues businesses and landlords are experiencing and whether they have been able to access available supports. These insights will aid in determining whether additional measures are needed to support businesses struggling to pay rent during the COVID-19 pandemic. The online survey, including alternative methods of submitting feedback by email or phone, can be found on the Commercial tenancy support feedback page.
Input wanted on infrastructure planning
Statistics Canada - Impacts of COVID-19 on Canadians:
Alberta Business Impact Survey: Survey Results
Alberta Business Impact Survey: Pulse 2 Results
Canadian Chamber Business Condition: Survey Results
OECD 2020 Economic Policy Survey Views from the frontline: Survey Results.
Funding and Assistance
Government funding and workforce supports
Find COVID-19 support and other programs and services with the Government of Canada Business and Industry Search Tool
Deloitte Small Business Relief Search Tool
- City of Medicine Hat
- Canadian Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program
- Changes to Employment Standards for COVID-19
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- Temporary Wage Subsidy
- Canada-Alberta Job Grant to help offset eligible training costs
- Canada United Grant
- Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations
- Enabling Accessibility Fund
- Federal Government Supplementary Unemployment Benefit Program
- Funding for Green Jobs in Natural Resources
- Large Employer Emergency Financing Facility
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund
- Site Rehabilitation Program for Oil and Gas Service Companies (Timeline: Applications open May 1)
- Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant
- Trade Commissioner Service: Resources for Canadian businesses
- Travel Alberta Cooperative Investment Program
- Western Economic Diversification business supports
- Work Sharing Program to avoid layoffs
- Work Sharing Program Overview (March 2020)
- Deferral of Corporate Tax
- Deferral of Education Property for Business
- Deferral of WCB Premiums for the Private Sector
- Income Tax Filing and Payments
- Tourism Levy deferral and remittances
Supports through your Financial Institution
- ATB BoostR Crowdfunding platform; Webinar: Crowdfunding through COVID-19; ATB recovery workbook
- Canada Emergency Business Account
- Small and Medium-sized Enterprise Loan & Guarantee program
- Export Development Canada
- BusinessLink: Market Research Expertise
- Canada Post Hold Mail and Mail Forwarding Services and Think Small Support Program.
- Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance business assistance and Business Resource Centre
- Cyber Security Canadian Shield Program
- Innovative Solutions Canada Funding for R & D and testing prototypes
- Magnet Export Business Portal
- Mitacs Funding
- MNP Insolvency Services
- Southern Alberta Newspaper Group Community Marketing Fund
Check out our list of other business resources on our website
Find COVID-19 supports with the Government of Canada online financial help search tool here.
- ABTrace Together App: download for free from the App Store and Google Play
- ATB and Alberta Credit Union support
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
- Canada Emergency Student Benefit
- Changes to Employment Standards for COVID-19
- Child Care during COVID-19
- Child Tax Benefit
- City of Medicine Hat COVID-19 Assistance Package
- Cyber Security Canadian Shield Program
- CRA Request for Taxpayer Relief Form
- Education Property Tax Freeze for Households
- Emergency Financial Assistance
- Employment Insurance Sickness benefits
- Flexibility for Taxpayers
- Free Credit Counselling, Budgeting Help & Debt Consolidation Options
- GST Tax Credit
- Income Support Program
- Income Tax Filing and Payments
- Mobile Health Support: Mobile TELUS Health App
- Mortgage Deferral
- RRIF Changes
- Security for Alberta Renters
- Student loan repayment deferral (Provincial)
- Supports for Employees
- Utility payment deferral
- Virtual Tax Clinics
Virtual Business Tools
- Boardable virtual meeting platform
- Canada Business App
- Free video conferencing apps
- Constant Contact: Small Business Support Kit
- Digital Boost for Business
- Ebay Offer
- Google My Business - Tips to get started
- Google - Startups Accelerator Canada
- Get Started with Google Search
- Miro - Workplace Collaboration Tool
- Ownr - Register and Incorporate your business online
- Shopify: Free 90 day trial and business resources
- Star-Plus: Delivery, E-Commerce and POS Solution
Pandemic Education and Training Resources
View our Pandemic Training Calendar for upcoming events and check out the on demand resources and series options below.
On Demand Webinars
Alberta Bits & Pieces Webinar. Watch Now.
Alberta Phase 2 Relaunch Town Hall Recordings. Listen Now.
Canadian Business Resilience Network Video Content
13 Ways COVID-19 and Your Business Part 1: Watch Now.
Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program explained. Watch now.
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Explained: Watch Now.
Conflict Escalation & What to Do About It. Watch Now.
Crowdfunding through COVID-19. Watch Now.
Cybersecurity And The Ever-Evolving Work Environment, With Field Effect. Watch Now.
Destination Canada: The Visitor Economy: Watch Now.
BDC Economic Pulse (April 20): Watch Now.
Facebook: Build Your Online Presence. Watch now
Facebook: Getting Creative with your Mobile Phone, With Facebook. Watch now.
How to cope with the impacts of COVID-19 on your business. Watch Now.
How to Navigate Government Programs with KPMG. Watch Now.
How to Safely Reopen after COVID-19. Watch Now.
The Importance of Human Resources & Being Strategic When Your Business is Being Temporarily Impacted. Watch Now.
Keeping Your Company and Employees Secure When Working Remotely. Watch Now.
Leading During a Crisis and Switching to Remote Work. Watch Now.
Maintaining Sales in the face of COVID-19. Watch Now.
Mental Health for HR Professionals. Watch Now.
Profit from technology. Watch now.
Relaunching Your Business. Watch now.
Rent Relief in a World of the Coronavirus: Watch Now.
Shopify E-Commerce Tools. Watch Now.
Social Media in Crisis. Watch Now.
Strategies for How Businesses Can Persevere And Recover From COVID-19. Watch Now.
Understanding, Accessing and Optimizing the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy. Watch Now.
Understanding Travel Insurance In The World Of COVID-19. Watch now.
What To Feel When Stressors Collide, With Canada Life. Watch Now.
Working From Home During COVID-19. Watch Now.
AMHSA, CSSE, Howatt HR, AUMA Mental Health Webinar Series. Click here.
APEX Alberta Webinars: Watch the recorded series
BDC Webinar Series. Click here.
BusinessLink: View upcoming events.
Buyandsell.gc.ca: Learn how to find bid opportunities. Register now.
CPA Small Business Webinar Series. Click here.
CPHR Alberta: HR Pandemic Essentials. Click here.
Conference Board of Canada Webinar Series: Mental Health and COVID-19. Click here.
Constant Contact Webinar Series: View the line up of sessions and register.
D2L Webinar Series: Digital Transformation for Associations. Watch Now.
Economic Developers Alberta (EDA) Wednesday weekly: Business & Economic Recovery During the COVID-19 Crisis
Employment Law Alliance On-Demand Series. Click here.
Free Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS)® IDS™ sessions. Register here.
International Economic Development Council Webinar series. Watch now.
Retail Council of Canada. Register here.
School of Public Policy. Register here.
StartUp Canada Women Entrepreneur Webinar Series: Click here.
Travel Alberta Webinar Series. Watch Now.
Restricted and Non Restricted Services
Prevent the Spread
All Albertans are encouraged to take personal steps to help prevent the spread.
- Practice good hygiene
- Practice physical distancing
- Take the Online Screening
- Guidance on outdoor activities
- Infection Prevention & Control
- Prevent the Spread Posters & AHS Signage & Posters
- Resource on prevention and risks
- Get the ABTraceTogether mobile app
To protect yourself and others:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Remember to cough and sneeze into your sleeve or a tissue and then throw away the tissue and wash your hands or use a sanitizer.
- Regularly disinfect your hands, surfaces and objects, such as desks and shared areas.
If you have symptoms, like a dry cough, fever, fatigue or difficulty breathing:
- stay home - do not go to an ER or clinic
- take the COVID-19 self-assessment
- call Health Link 811 for instructions and testing
- self-isolate for 14 days if returning from travel outside Canada or were exposed to COVID-19
View the hand sanitizer recall notice for certain hand sanitizers.
- City of Medicine Hat: The City of Medicine Hat call centre is available Monday to Friday from 9 am to 4 pm to provide information to residents and help connect them to community resources. The information line number is 403-529-8106.
- Alberta Connects Contact Centre: The Alberta Connects Contact Centre is available seven days a week from 8 am to 8 pm. Call toll-free from anywhere in the province by dialling 310-4455 for general information about the Government of Alberta and its response to COVID-19, or for help contacting individual program areas. This line cannot provide medical advice.
- Alberta 211: Call, text 2-1-1 or browse ab.211.ca to obtain help navigating community and social services.
- Caregivers Alberta has a toll-free caregiver advisor line at 1-877-453-5088 and online at caregiversalberta.ca for all caregivers to provide psychosocial, along with other peer and community supports.
- Crisis Text Line Alberta is available 24-7 offering information, referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support for Albertans of all ages, by texting CONNECT to 741741.
- Kids Help Phone is available 24-7 and offers professional counselling, information and referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support to young people by texting CONNECT to 686868.
- Mental Health: The Mental Health Help Line number is 1-877-303-2642 and the Addiction Help Line is 1-866-332-2323. Both lines are open seven days a week from 7 am to 11 pm with calls placed from 11 pm to 7 am routed through 811. Albertans will be connected directly to AHS addiction and mental health staff.
- Family Violence Prevention: A 24-hour Family Violence Information Line is available at 310-1818 to get anonymous help. Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence is available at 1-866-402-8000 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in more than 170 languages. Information sheets and other resources on family violence prevention are available at alberta.ca/COVID19.
- Service Canada Centres are temporarily closing in-person service centres and so people are to apply online. Read more.
- COVID-19: Education and child care information.
- Learning Resources: LearnAlberta.ca; My Child's Learning: A Parent Resource
- Government of Alberta - Student learning during COVID-19
- Medicine Hat Public Library - Check out the Featured Collections section on the home page of their website.
- RBC Future Launch at Home - youth-focused virtual programming and learning opportunities.
- Awareness resources and documents
- BBB Tips on COVID-19: Don't panic, be safe and avoid scams
- Being Prepared: A resource for individuals, communities, schools and workplaces
- Canadian Mental Health Association supports
- Economic Developers Alberta: Economic Disaster Recovery
- Find Local Support Organizations: HelpSeeker.org
- Individuals and families preparedness checklist
- Institute for Sustainable Development: Tips for Alberta Business and Community Leaders Working to Address Economic Fall-Out
- Non-profit/voluntary sector preparedness checklist
- Risk-informed decision-making for mass gatherings during COVID-19 global outbreak
- World Health Organization: Coping with stress during COVID-19
Government Call to Action:
- Alberta Bits and Pieces Program
- Call to action: Canadian manufacturers needed to help combat COVID-19
- Alberta Cares Connector: Volunteer Connector Service
- Alberta Northern Lights Volunteer Recognition Program - Nominate a Volunteer
- CFSEA COVID-19 Response Fund - Organizations can apply here.
- Emergency Community Support Fund
- Family and Community Support Services Grant Program
Parks Canada COVID-19 Information
If you need financial help to return to Canada, check COVID-19: Financial help for Canadians outside Canada.
Social Media to follow:
Submit a Complaint
If you see facilities that are not following the limitations and restrictions of the province, please notify public health inspectors through the online complaint form.
If you experience an unfair business or tenancy transaction, you can find more information and file a complaint here.
Is red tape affecting your ability to reopen your business? Fill out the Government of Alberta form to tell the government how it can better support your business through the relaunch transition.