Work Integrated Learning Placements
Access Student Talent
The Medicine Hat & District Chamber of Commerce has partnered with the Medicine Hat College on an exciting new project to help businesses connect with post-secondary students who are available for co-op work terms, practicums, project work, as well as other experiential learning opportunities through our Work Integrated Learning (WIL) connections.
What is Work Integrated Learning?
WIL experiences connect students’ academic experiences with real world experiences relevant to their education to help prepare them for future careers. WIL also provides value to employer partners, bringing current ideas, knowledge, and best practices from their academic experience to share with the business partner. Student work placement activities can include, but is not limited to:
- mentorship programs;
- co-op placements;
- applied research projects; and
Why should I participate?
Students can bring immense value to your organization by providing you with the opportunity to:
- add temporary resources to your organization that will enable you to be more productive
- access innovative ideas that students bring
- raise awareness of your organization and industry
- build a strong talent pipeline
How will the Chamber and the College help my small business connect to post-secondary students?
Talk to us about your talent needs and we can assist by answering any questions you have about working with post-secondary students and based on your needs, we will connect you with the appropriate post-secondary school(s) and continue to be available to answer your questions throughout the process.
Various Medicine Hat College departments have placements and projects throughout the year. This ranges from the departments of Business to Technology studies to Art and Design. Opportunities range from short term practicums to summer-long paid internship placements. The majority of placements occur near the end of each winter semester (April) and on into the summer.
A more comprehensive list can be accessed through the Chamber Member Information Centre here
Posting an Opportunity
What Employers Need to Know
While WIL worksite responsibilities may change according to program, in general, the responsibilities of a WIL business partner are as follows:
- Complete and sign the Medicine Hat College WIL Partner Agreement and ensure it is and returned to the college prior to any student participating in the WIL experience.
- Provide the WIL opportunity for the agreed-upon period to meet the needs of the WIL experience.
- Inform the college of any accident, incident or unusual occurrence related to the student and the WIL experience or at the WIL site.
- Report student Workers’ Compensation Board incidents/injuries according to the information as provided by the college.
- Review the WIL Partner Checklist and follow up with any questions with the program contact prior to the WIL experience.
- Provide a reasonable orientation to the workplace and objectives of the same appropriate to the nature and type of WIL experience.
- Have reasonable rules regarding health and safety in place and explain those policies to the student during orientation.
- If requested and discussed as part of the arrangement with the college, provide evaluation and feedback on the student’s performance and discuss it with the student.
- Make the experience meaningful by providing learning opportunities so students can gain the most from the WIL experience.
Need Support: Business Funding and Support for Your Student Work Placement is available:
- Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit
- Canada-Alberta Job Grant
- Canada Summer Jobs Program
- Careers Next Gen
- Digital Skills for Youth Program
- Employment and Social Development Canada Student Work Placement Program
- Serving Communities Internship Program
- South East Alberta Partners for Youth Career Development
- Young Canada Works
- Youth Employment and Skills Strategy (YESS)
Would you like more information?
Contact us via our online form and we will match you with the program of interest to you and your business.