Your Weekly Tune Up
Draft Northwest Industrial Area Structure Plan ready for public input
Development of the Northwest Industrial Area Structure Plan (ASP) enters the next stage in the planning process and is now ready for public viewing on Shape Your City, with the project team collecting feedback until November 24, 2021. To learn more and share feedback, visit https://shapeyourcity.medicinehat.ca/northwest-industrial-plan. View the frequently asked questions section or contact the members of the ASP project team in the “Who’s Listening” section by submitting a question or feedback near the bottom of the page.
Fully serviced land for sale at the Medicine Hat Regional Airport
YXH Gateway, a new commercial business park in Southeast Alberta, presents a unique opportunity to develop at the Medicine Hat Regional Airport, with three parcels of land for sale. For more information on YXH Gateway at the Medicine Hat Regional Airport, visit: https://www.investmedicinehat.ca/yxhgateway
Red Tape Reduction Implementation Act, 2021 (No. 2)
The Red Tape Reduction act includes amendments to nine legislative items, including:
- Enabling municipalities to create entertainment districts, designated public areas where adults may responsibly consume alcohol.
- Supporting licensed cannabis retailers to grow their businesses by entering the online cannabis market.
- Ensuring Crown mineral agreements are responsibly managed by enabling a faster and more efficient way to replace designated representatives.
- Giving the insurance industry the ability to set and change fees for activities related to the regulation of insurance professionals, such as examinations, licensing and continuing education.
Labour Shortage Continues to Challenge Post-pandemic Recovery Efforts for Business
Make A Change Canada’s new Tech Diversity Online program provides job-ready candidates and wage subsidies to Canadian employers. Make A Change Canada is a certified educational institution under Employment and Social Development Canada and has been helping Canadians in all regions realize their full potential since 2005. The organization’s innovative, online programs provide participants with employment readiness and comprehensive training in web development and design. Now, included in its educational offerings is financial support to employers and people with barriers to employment. Find out more.
Quick Check Up
Reminder: As of November 15, 2021, QR codes will be the only valid proof of vaccinations.
Next Level Events
2021 Leadership Lunch-In (Virtual)
Join us for our annual Leadership Lunch-In bringing together representatives from all levels of government in our region. Connect with us, and our elected leaders, in an open dialogue and capitalize on the chance to influence the conversation. Evolving from the annual Mayor’s Breakfast, we will bring together our MP, MLA’s, Mayors from Medicine Hat, Redcliff and the CAO of Cypress County and Base Commander from CFB Suffield for a town hall style event that will offer our members an opportunity to connect with their elected representatives and gain insight into their activities. In addition, attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions on issues that are of importance to them. This event provides an avenue to have an open dialogue with those that are in decision making positions.
Tuesday, November 9th 2021
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
2021 Selling to Government: How to become a successful bidder with the City of Medicine Hat - Virtual Event
Join us to explore how to sell your products or services to the City of Medicine Hat and gain better insight into the procurement process and what has changed.
Wednesday, November 17, 2021 (9:00 AM - 10:30 AM) (MST)
Ready to become a successful bidder? Learn more at: medicinehat.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en
2021 Presidents' Reception, Membership Appreciation and AGM - Virtual
Our Annual General Meeting takes a look back through the past year and learn how the Chamber of Commerce has played a pivotal role in our business community through our advocacy efforts, business engagement and member benefits programs.
Virtual Presidents' Reception, Membership Appreciation and Annual General Meeting
Thursday, November 25th
5:30pm - 8:30pm.
You are Invited for Midnight Madness at the Chamber!
We have partnered with Methanex to bring you a fun filled night! Visit the petting zoo and get FREE hot chocolate! Entry to the petting zoo by donation. All funds will go to the Medicine Hat Santa Claus Fund!
November 19th, 2021 (4:30 PM - 8:30 PM)
Out front of the Chamber Office - 413 6 Ave. SE
Can't wait to see you there!
Fuelling Our Business Community
One week left for Savour the Southeast
Savour The Southeast celebrates our local food story one delicious bite — and sip at a time. From Nov. 1-14, participating restaurants celebrate their partnerships with local and regional producers. From farmers, ranchers, greenhouses and butcheries to breweries, distilleries and roasteries, local restaurants and cafes showcase the food and drink we have right here in Medicine Hat.
November 1st - 14th, 2021
The Power of Community
This year's theme for Veterans’ Week, is ‘Service, Courage and Sacrifice' and we honour all of the brave Canadians who have served, and continue to serve, our country in times of war, military conflict, and peace. All Canadians can view the online commemorations, share their stories, and wear a poppy in honour of our brave service members.
Medicine Hat City Council sworn into office and committee assignments confirmed
Medicine Hat’s 2021-2025 City Council was officially sworn into office on on November 1, 2021. The swearing-in ceremony at Council Chambers is now available on the City’s YouTube Channel.
Enriching Your Business
Random Acts of Kindness Week November 14th - 20th
The Community Foundation of Southeastern Alberta (CFSEA) is honored to partner with FCSS and the City of Medicine Hat to facilitate Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week in the community. As division within the community increases, compassion fatigue continues, and the COVID-19 pandemic prolongs the affects, we are proposing the following: To encourage Random Acts of Kindness within the community and to help make kindness the norm. Our goal with this week-long, city-wide initiative is to enhance the social well-being of others and engage residents to become active members of the community.
CFSEA will be facilitating, promoting and providing resources in partnership with various charities, schools, and businesses. We would love to see every business in the city spread some extra kindness this week and help make kindness the norm in Medicine Hat.
If you have an idea of how your business can be a part of this event or want to be involved but don’t know how please connect with Sydney Ratzlaff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403.527.9038.
Fill Up On Funding
Contest aims to convert customers from paper to electronic billing
Medicine Hat utility customers who sign up for eBilling before 4:30 p.m. on December 14, 2021 are entered to win one of three prizes: $500, $200 or $100 in cash credit on their utility account. To sign up, residents can select paperless billing when they log on to their eUtility account at www.medicinehat.ca/eutility.
Canada Revenue Agency announces maximum pensionable earnings for 2022
The maximum pensionable earnings under the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) for 2022 will be $64,900—up from $61,600 in 2021. The new ceiling was calculated according to a CPP legislated formula that takes into account the growth in average weekly wages and salaries in Canada.
Advocacy in Action
Strong representation at Canadian Chamber Policy Conference
Alberta chamber representatives, along with the Medicine Hat & District Chamber of Commerce, took part in the Canadian Chamber annual policy conference, helping ensure a strong Alberta voice on the national stage. With 66 delegates we had the second largest delegation, next to Ontario and we also passed 9 Alberta sponsored or co-sponsored resolutions (with our policy Supporting Farms of the Future from the Medicine Hat & District Chamber) with 56 policies adopted out of a total of 67 policies debated.
During the two-day event, our delegates heard from futurist Dr. Parag Khanna and from Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland, and participated in a series of panels on topics that are top-of-mind for small businesses including:
- Medicine Hat Fire & Emergency Services are continuing to work with business owners to perform life safety checks, business inspections and an update of emergency contact information.
- Provincial minerals strategy and action plan
- Cutting emissions and diversifying the economy
- Alberta expands eligibility for booster doses
- Canada signs Statement on International Public Support for the Clean Energy Transition at the COP26
- Alberta is presenting a plan of action to create jobs and reduce emissions with the release of the Alberta Hydrogen Roadmap.
- Banning foreign money from Alberta politics
- 5 Minutes for Business: Three ways that business owners can create momentum to deliver growth
- The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety has developed a free online course to help organizations in Canada conduct a COVID-19 workplace risk assessment and implement a safety plan.
- Service Canada has released new versions of its Businesses, General, Seniors, and Youth COVID-19 posters:
- 4 Ways To Manage Your Energy And Have A Balanced, Productive Workday
- Weekly Economic Review
- Alberta economy - Indicators at a glance
- Labour Market Notes – Fourth wave, goods sector weakness weigh on Alberta’s labour market
- BusinessLink: Indigenous Business Planning Series - 6-Part Series | Nov 16-Dec 2
- Artificial Intelligence and Ethics: Trustworthy Tech and Tech Adoption | Nov 16
- Performing Arts, Tourism and the Experience Economy: The Untapped Potential | Nov 18
- Go Global: Understanding Export Risks and Supply Chain Opportunities | Nov 23
- Building from the Ground Up: Positioning Our Communities as Leaders of Post-COVID Recovery | Nov 24
- Nine10: FREE Digital Marketing Webinar Series - Webinars will run every two weeks (full schedule): Check out our special partner promo from Nine 10
- Grow Your Business on TikTok - How to use TikTok to take your business to the next level. November 9 | 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. | Virtual
Find more updates on our social media